TORBAY OPEN POETRY
Torbay Festival Poetry Competition 2017
Judge: Penelope Shuttle
First Prize: The Fishwife Cheryl Pearson
Second Prize: The Moon and the Sphere Wendy French
Third Prize: Ignition Graeme Ryan
The Guns Katrina Naomi
Inspection Bill Greenwell
Horses Always look cleverer than they are Char March
Like a Soldier Michael Swan
Last Offices Becky Nutall
Benoit’s Words John Simons
All those CDS and DvDs Carole Coates
A Wooden Box Howard Wright
One Christmas Jennie Hamlett
Watching Michael Hough
Asking about Clouds Barbara Cumbers
Things I discovered in the Brushing Room Trish Harewood
Beachcombing with an Expert Philip Smith
Like yellow, like flying Jo Peters
Prisonnier de Guerre Britannique Michael Henry
Peril Brian Clark
Daylight Saving Jennie Osborne
If Rebecca Clifton
Bette Davis Jim Friedman
Ajar Jim Friedman
She won’t Eat Fiction Tracy Davidson
Last Will Juliet Ackroid
Chair Pat Borthwick
The Tall Heath Men Wendy French
Holding the Line Chris Hardy
Her Hands Geoff Strange
Joan Howson’s Cottage Michael Henry
Cloud Chris Considine
Hedera Helix Chris Considine
Going to Bed Michelle Eccles
I don’t know how he had that power Michaelle Eccles
At First Sight Susan Utting
In Porlock Giles Goodland
Each Space in the Warren was Different Greg Bright.
£700 FIRST PRIZE, plus free weekend at the poetry festival, (27th – 31st Oct 2016), including accommodation and Festival Pass.
£400 second prize plus a free Festival Pass.
£200 third prize plus ticket for the Festival supper for two.
ENTRANCE FEE: £5 per poem or 5 poems for £20 for entries received by post. Online entries are £5 each because of additional admin costs in time and printing.
Closing date: August 31st 2017
Winners to be announced at the PRIZE-WINNERS’ PARTY on Saturday 21st October, at the Torbay Poetry Festival, Livermead Cliﬀ Hotel,Torquay, Devon where short-listed poets will be invited to read their poems.
How to enter
- Download an Entry Form here, complete and return with your poem(s) and fee.
- Compete the form alongside, attach your poems and then click ‘Add to Cart’ to make your payment via Paypal (£5 per poem). If you are entering more than one poem, please put all poems on separate sheets in a one Word file.
- Poems must be original, unpublished and not accepted for publication. They should be written in English and not exceed 50 lines.
- Each poem must be typed, single-spaced on one side of A4 paper which must not bear the name of the author or any form of identification. The titles of poems and name and address of the poet should be clearly listed on the entry form or a separate sheet of paper.
- The entry fee is £5.00 per poem, or 5 poems for £20.00 by post or £5 per poem online.
- Receipt of entry will be acknowledged if a stamped, addressed postcard marked ‘Receipt’ is enclosed with entry.
- A list of winners will be sent if a stamped addressed envelope marked ‘Prizewinners’ is enclosed with the entry.
- Copyright will remain with the author, but the organisers reserve the right to publish any of the winning or commended poems up to one year after the end of the competition.
- The awards will be announced at the Torbay Poetry Festival. The winning poets will be notified in advance and invited to attend the Prizegiving Party. All short-listed poets will be invited to read their short-listed entry.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the results. The poems will not be returned.
- The organisers reserve the right to return poems and entry fees if the need arises.
- Neither the judge nor organisers are eligible to enter the competition.
- The judge will read ALL the entries.
- Cheques/POs should be made payable to Torbay Poetry and sent together with the poems and author’s details to: The Administrator, c/o 6 The Mount,Brixham, South Devon TQ5 8QY, UK. Envelopes should be clearly marked ‘Torbay Open Poetry Competition’