for NAMES AND TITLES OF WINNING POEMS
PLEASE SEE MAIN COMPETITION PAGE
DANNY PYLE MEMORIAL COMPETITON
DANNY PYLE served on the Torbay Festival Committee from the beginning, first as secretary, then as President. Danny was a consumate composer of humorous poems and loved the light-hearted touch within poetry. He would have been delighted to have a competition dedicated to making people laugh.
Write a humorous poem in any recognised format, no more than 40 lines.
1st PRIZE – £100
2nd PRIZE – £50
ENTRY FEE: £5 for two poems or £10 for 5 poems.
Closing date: August 31st 2018
JOHN MILES is the author of two books, In case of fire, throw this in and Hard Lines both of which contain many humorous poems.
How to enter
- Download an Entry Form here, complete and return with your poem(s) and fee.
- Compete the form alongside, attach your poems and then click ‘Add to Cart’ to make your payment via Paypal. If you are entering more than one poem, please put all poems on separate sheets in one Word file.
- Poems must be original, unpublished and not accepted for publication. They should be written in English and not exceed 40 lines.
- Each poem must be typed, single-spaced on one side of A4 paper which must not bear the name of the author or any form of identification. The titles of poems and name and address of the poet should be clearly listed on the entry form or a separate sheet of paper.
- The entry fee is £5.00 for 2 poems, or 5 poems for £10.00.
- Receipt of entry will be acknowledged if a stamped, addressed postcard marked ‘Receipt’ is enclosed with entry.
- A list of winners will be sent if a stamped addressed envelope marked ‘Prizewinners’ is enclosed with the entry.
- Copyright will remain with the author, but the organisers reserve the right to publish any of the winning or commended poems up to one year after the end of the competition.
- The awards will be announced at the Torbay Poetry Festival. The winning poets will be notified in advance and invited to attend the Prizegiving Party. All short-listed poets will be invited to read their short-listed entry.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the results. The poems will not be returned.
- The organisers reserve the right to return poems and entry fees if the need arises.
- Neither the judge nor organisers are eligible to enter the competition.
- The judge will read ALL the entries.
- Cheques/POs should be made payable to Torbay Poetry and sent together with the poems and author’s details to: The Administrator, c/o 6 The Mount,Brixham, South Devon TQ5 8QY, UK. Envelopes should be clearly marked ‘Torbay Open Poetry Competition’